PRESS RELEASE: ABC for Rural Health's Mike Rust Recognized for Lifetime Achievement (ABC for Rural Health, 28 March 2016)
ABC for Rural Health located in Polk County, Wisconsin is a subsidiary of ABC for Health, Inc. ABC for Rural Health is dedicated to delivering Family Health Benefits Counseling to patients throughout rural Wisconsin.
In 1988, the staff of ABC for Rural Health created a consumer advocacy service known as Family Health Benefits Counseling. Since then, the staff’s benefits counseling work has helped hundreds of Wisconsin residents enroll in public health benefits or secure payment from a private insurance contract. Benefits counseling has demonstrated its success in helping patients get their medical bills paid and in helping medical facilities get paid too.
ABC for Rural Health works in collaboration with Wisconsin county health departments, rural centers, and other health organizations to promote Health Benefits Counseling. These collaborations develop multi-purpose education strategies to inform customers, providers, and the broader community of health care coverage options while also advocating directly for individuals disenfranchised from health care coverage and services.
ABC for Rural Health draws its support from government and foundation grants, training contracts, and donations, and works to maximize all available health care coverage options for all people. ABC for Rural Health has worked particularly with several groups confronting special access problems. These groups include:
- Children and Youth with Special HealthCare Needs in each of Wisconsin’s five public health regions
- Members of each of Wisconsin’s 12 federally recognized tribes
- Unmarried parents faced with repaying Medicaid birth cost expenditures
- Pregnant women
- Farming and other self-employed families facing special access challenges to Medicaid in Wisconsin
- Children and parents in blended families
- Northwestern Wisconsin families seeking assistance to enroll in a health insurance plan through the Affordable Care Act’s federal Marketplace
- Individuals and families seeking access to coverage for mental health and substance use treatment services
- Children in need of the full range of services included in Wisconsin’s HealthCheck Program (Early, Period, Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment Program federally)